I came across this butterscotch colored woven houndstooth and fell in love with the color, scale, and texture of it. I had been wanting to draft a pattern based on a favorite vintage wool skirt of mine and decided this would be the perfect fabric to test it out.
I made a few variations from the original skirt – I added pockets and opted for small box pleats in the back of the skirt instead of darts. It resulted in the final shape to be more tulipy than I intended, but I still like it in this fabric. If I make the pattern again I think I will lessen the amount of curve to the hips and instead increase the depth of the box pleat.
The skirt is lined with a black poly and the pockets are lined with deranged (or drunken) cheetahs! Katy had a few scraps of this delightful printed jersey leftover from a top she made so I scooped them up to line my pockets.
It wasn’t until after I had cut and started sewing with the houndstooth that I realized how much the weave would separate and how much the cut edges frayed – I should have serged every piece before sewing, even though it is fully lined. I also should have included larger seam allowances. I really like this skirt but I am not sure how long it’ll last since I can already see it pulling at some seams.
1 yd butterscotch houndstooth
1 yd black polyester lining
1 skirt bar hook
drunken cheetah knit scraps for the pockets
Button-up from American Apparel
Earrings borrowed from Katy
Boots from Target
Hair Comb from Anthropologie