Psst… Want to know a secret? I hadn’t really planned this top at all, nor did I have high hopes for it turning out so well, but now I love it!
I had the pattern for a while and knew I wanted to make up a test version to see if the fit was right for a future vintage dress overhaul project, but hadn’t had my heart set on any particular fabric, and may have just made a muslin rather than a wearable top. But, when I ended up with a good amount of this semi-sheer white swiss dot leftover after making a Eucalypt dress, I decided it would make a very sweet bustier top. Hint: Keep your scraps – you never know when they will be perfect for lining, underlining, or even making a whole new garment!
I used McCall’s pattern M6325 and made version C – the only alteration I made was to gather in the tops of the bust cups because it was gaping a bit too much at the armpits and sitting to far away from my chest. Katy actually helped me come up with that simple, and I think flattering, solution which saved me from deconstructing a mostly finished, fiddly top.
I underlined all of the swiss dot fabric because it was so thin, interfaced the straps and bust cup lining pieces, and lined the upper portion of the top. I french seamed the bottom pieces together, and the bottom portion to the top. There were so many pattern pieces to cut and keep track of, what with all the underlining, lining, and interfacing… but I think the end result was worth it! There is a lot of ease incorporated into the pattern so pay attention to the finished measurements marked on the pattern pieces when deciding which size to cut to ensure a close fit.
1 yd cotton swiss dot
1 yd white cotton lining
1/2 yd fusible interfacing
Pattern – McCall’s M6325